Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

28 days

From now on I will list the thread titles in how many days left till the official due date.

I looked at the calendar today and my stomach dropped. It's March 1st and this is the first time I have felt a panic set in about the baby. I am giddy with anticipation of Gavins imminent arrival. :) He should be about 2 or 3 weeks old when he sees (or sleeps through) his first NFL draft. I can't wait, but man am I nervous as heck.


Gavin,

Despite my desire to remain unchanged by your arrival I can already feel my heart melting. I don't pretend to know what it is that is laying low my defenses, but it must be a powerful force indeed. What follows is a rough draft, or maybe just a collection of thoughts about you, your mom and our family.

My plan is to be the best of what my dad was to me mixed with the best of what Loris dad was to her. Both approaches produced great results.
I will pretend I am unmoved by your pleas to stay up, just a bit longer, citing "quality time with dad" as the reason for your request.
I will tell you to be a man and stand up to that bully because he is most likely to back down. (They don't always back down, but even if they don't back down the first time they will respect the fight in you on the second.)
I will help you understand that sometimes acting tough is enough to get you through, but if you have to back it up make sure teachers are watching so you don't get pummled too bad before it gets broken up.
I will teach you to respect your mother, and I swear to god if you ever call her a name or hit her there will be hell to pay. I loved her first, and without her there is no "you". Don't forget it.
I will instill in you the fear of God and the respect for beliefs other than your own.
I will make it my lifelong endeavor to lead by example.
I will love your mother with all my heart and soul.
I will promise what I promised your mother.

Till death do us part.

Love,
Daddy

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Mike. That's a great collection of thoughts. You two will do great, I know it. Best wishes to you and Lori and little Gavin. He'll be here before you know it.

It's been my experience that there is little discipline that happens right at the beginning. That gives you time to have your heart completely stolen by the little babies and the way they smell and make little cooing noises and then they smile at you and begin to laugh and just when you thought your entire heart was already theirs, they find another little piece and take that as their own, too.

*~ Li ~*~ La ~*~ Lo ~* said...

OHH Mike, what a precious letter from Daddy to little Gavin..

The most important thing is to enjoy each day you have with Gavin because it comes only once.. It wasn't long ago when my little Justin was baby and now he's nearly 14 years old.. My last child is going on 6 years old.. Time really does flies so quickly before your eyes..

Anxiously waiting to see a picture of Gavin's arrival..

Smiling, Mary

whatever said...

in regards to your request of Ellen, i also wrote to her to express how amazing it would be if she would allow you to reveal this journal on her show. maybe if enough people write she will listen! i'm crossing my fingers for you!

Mike said...

Thank You Seargant! That's awesome! I really appreciate it. :)

angela said...

the sarge and I started a letter writing campaign. It's up to 3 people so far!